Dr. Tom Holmes has been practicing in Kingston for 28 years. Although he has always enjoyed dentistry, he has grown to be more passionate about his profession as he has grown older. Dr. Holmes really enjoys the day-to-day interactions with his patients. While he works in a large, busy practice, his patients know he always has time to catch up with their lives and find out what they expect from him as a dentist.
Education and Continuing Education
Dr. Holmes is a graduate of Western University of Canada, earning his undergraduate degree in Economics in 1982 and his Doctorate of Dental Surgery in 1986. He and Dr. Gordon Lansdown have practiced as partners since 1986, first in the Tridont Dental Centre until 1988, and at the Cataraqui Dental Centre since.
Continuing education has always been very important in Dr. Holmes’ life, and continues to be, as he recently completed a mini residency in restorative dental implants in 2014.
- Kingston and District Dental Society, Past President, Executive Board Member
- Ontario Dental Association, Kingston Representative (at present)
- Canadian Dental Association
- International Team for Implantology Study Club, Kingston Branch Co-founder
In the Community
- Kingston Chamber of Commerce, Past Board Member
- Salvation Army Kingston Board, 1993-2002
Dr. Holmes has also been involved in the sports scene in Kingston for the past 28 years. A lot of it had to do with being involved with three very active daughters. Because of his interactions with young people, mostly in sport, Dr. Holmes has become passionate in believing that active children become responsible adults.
- KSTA/Kingston Kobras Fastball, 1995-2007
- Kingston Cavalier Basketball, Founder/President, 1999-2007
- Kingston Impact, Vice President, 2007-2009
- Major Midget Boys Basketball Ontario Provincials, Convener, 2008
- Major Midget Girls Basketball Ontario Provincials, Convener, 2009
- OFSAA AAA Provincial Senior Girls Basketball, Co-convener, 2011
Even though Dr. Holmes has retired from active involvement in sport, he still believes strongly in and supports community sports programs. The Cataraqui Dental Centre has sponsored hundreds of athletes from hockey, rugby, soccer, baseball and basketball players to cheerleaders, boxers, runners, tri-athletes, and many more. If you look around, you can still see Dr. Holmes in the local rink, football field, track, basketball court, or anywhere else where local athletes are performing.
Outside the Office
Dr. Holmes has been married to Julie Holmes since 1983. They have three daughters, Jennifer, Jillian, and Rebecca, and one grandchild, Max.
Of Dr. Holmes’ many interests, they all share one common theme: they must be done outdoors. In the winter, he enjoys downhill skiing, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing, while kayaking, playing golf, and road biking take up the summer months. Mix in a little camping, swimming, and hiking and that keeps him busy in all four seasons!
When it's time to relax on cold Monday evenings in the fall, the Wingdocs (established around 1996) get together for Monday Night Football and nibble on a few chicken wings.